Shear loads in bolt through timber

In various contexts it is convenient to support shear loads through an LVL (or other timber) bolted to concrete e.g. to support temporary working deck; wheel stop; timber raking strut etc. Is there guidance or do people have opinions on what length should be taken for the lever arm of the bolt. I have in the past considered 1/3 of the thickness of the LVL above the concrete by assuming the bearing of the timber onto the bolt is triangular, larger bearing at plane of concrete. What have other people used?

In term of analysis, Profis allows you to stand-off the steel plate from the concrete.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Richard,

Have you looked at AS5216 Post-installed fixings, specifically Clause 4.2.2.4 'Shear load with a lever arm' and Cl. 7.2.2.3 for some further formulas?

I am under the impression this standard is based on or similar to the ETAG standard(s).  You could also try looking there?  I haven't tried to access ETAG, so let me know if you find anything!

Cheers,

Shane

Any opinion stated is general in nature and for the purposes of discussion.  The contents do not constitute professional advice, are not intended to be a substitute for professional advice and should not be relied upon as such. You should seek professional advice from a suitably qualified engineer in relation to any particular matters you or your organization may have.